The National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA) has scheduled a webinar called Using New Developments In Whistleblower Laws To Your Client's Advantage. It will be on March 10, 2011, 11:00 am Pacific, 2:00 pm Eastern. This 90-minute webinar will address new developments in whistleblower law, including recent decisions strengthening the rights of federal employee whistleblowers. Speakers will include Tom Devine of the Government Accountability Project, Reuben Guttman of Grant & Eisenhofer, and Stephen M. Kohn, Executive Director of the National Whistleblowers Center. The registration fee for members of the public is $125. The live program will provide audio and video connections via computer, or the audio portion only via telephone. Participants can ask questions, answer surveys, and post comments from their computer during the program.
Topic for the webinar include:
* The whistleblower reward provisions in the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act and the proposed regulations implementing those provisions.
* Dodd-Frank Act amendments strengthening the anti-retaliation provisions of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and the False Claims Act.
* Three new whistleblower retaliation causes of action in the Dodd-Frank Act.
* Recent case developments under Section 806 of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, including the Fourth Circuit's decision in Stone v. Instrumentation Lab. Co., 591 F.3d 239 (4th Cir. 2009) clarifying the right to de novo review in federal court.
* New legislation protecting whistleblowing on food safety.
* Recent developments under the False Claims Act, including legislation closing loopholes.
* Recent case developments in federal employee whistleblower protection, including the MPSB's recent decision in Conyers v. Dep't Defense, 2010 MSPB 2047, December 22, 2010).
* An overview of recently enacted federal whistleblower protection laws protecting workers in the transportation and health care industries.
NELA's expert faculty will address these new whistleblower protection laws and offer practical tips for representing whistleblowers.
Using New Developments In Whistleblower Laws To Your Client's Advantage
Thursday, March 10, 2011
11 am Pacific /2 pm Eastern (90 minutes)
Legal Director, Government Accountability Project
Reuben A. Guttman
Director, Grant & Eisenhofer
Stephen M. Kohn
Executive Director, National Whistleblower Center and Founding Member of Kohn, Kohn & Colapinto, LLP
Moderated by Jason Zuckerman, Principal, The Employment Law Group